Ensemble "Eine Kleine Knox Musik":
Brice Andrus (horn), Peggy Benkeser (percussion), Paul Brittan (flute), Ted Gurch (clarinet), Cary Lewis (piano), Dorothy Lewis (cello), Beth Newdome (violin), Christina Smith (flute), Lisa Yancich (violin)
A statement by the composer:
For whom of what does a composer write music? Most composers would answer that one writes for oneself—and I believe that is true. But in writing for oneself some composers may, at one extreme, not care about pleasing anyone else, or at the other pole, write only what will "sell" to the largest market. I believe most composers, though, are trying to write music that is interesting to themselves and will also communicate with others, that is, to communicate with their potential audience—some choosing an avant garde audience, soem a pop audience, some a traditional classical audience, etc.
In writing chamber music, I have always thought that I am composing first for the performer. Within my eclectic twentieth century style (I know my style must be regarded as conservative twentieth century even as we enter the twenty-first century), I want the performer to be musically challenged and, in the end, to feel that the effort was worth it—that he or she feels that a valid musical statement has been made to the audience.
The pieces on this CD include some of my latest efforts with this in mind. I hope these wonderful performers may convince the listener that I have made statements worthy of their and the listener's time.
Check out the artist's website:
1. 2002: Semordnilap NÂº 2 (1. Allegro)
2. 2002: Semordnilap NÂº 2 (2. Andante-allegro)
3. 2002: Semordnilap NÂº 2 (3. Allegro)
4. t(n), (tau of n)
5. Attempted Claviercide
6. Familiar Objects Seen in a New Light
7. Sonatina (1. Allegro)
8. Sonatina (2. Andante)
9. Sonatina (3. Allegro)
10. The Framing of This Circle (1. Allegro)
11. The Framing of This Circle (2. Larghetto)
12. The Framing of This Circle (3. Allegro)
13. The Framing of This Circle (4. Allegro)
14. Rivers Run Through It (1. Moderato)
15. Rivers Run Through It (2. Allegro scherzando)
16. Rivers Run Through It (3. Adagio sostenuto)
17. Rivers Run Through It (4. Allegro)