He has performed solo and chamber music recitals throughout the United States and in Europe. During the 2001-2002 season, he was the pianist for the Garth Newel Piano Quartet, performing concerts in Virginia and on tour in Sicily, Italy. From 1997-2000 he was the pianist/keyboardist for the New World Symphony under the direction of Michael Tilson Thomas.
He attended the Mannes School of Music, graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree cum laude from Harvard University, a Masters in Music from Boston University, and a Doctorate from the University of Southern California. His main teachers have been Edward Aldwell, Russell Sherman, Benjamin Pasternack, and Norman Krieger.
Dr. Rubin is an active supporter of new music. He has performed with new music ensembles in New York, Los Angeles, at Harvard University, at Boston University, and with the New World Symphony, and has performed many new works in premieres, including some of his own compositions. His own works include compositions for voice, cello, string orchestra, piano, and electronic media. He has recorded a solo CD of 20th Century American music, and a CD of orchestral music by Steven Mackey on the RCA-BMG label as a member of the New World Symphony. His recording of piano quartets of Dvorak and Martinu with the Garth Newel Piano Quartet has just won "Best Classical Album of 2004" in the Just Plain Folks Music Awards. He has just recorded a CD of American music for 2 pianos to be released in the fall of 2005.
During the 2003-2005 seasons, Dr. Rubin has performed at the Phillips Collection in Washington, D.C., at the Myra Hess Foundation Concerts in Chicago, and at the Los Angeles County Museum "Sundays Live" Radio Broadcast Series.
Check out the artist's website:
1. George Gershwin - Three Preludes(1927) - Allegro ben Ritmato e D
2. Andante con Moto e Poco Rubato -
3. Allegro ben Ritmato e Deciso -
4. Aaron Jay Kernis - Lullaby from Before Sleep and Dreams(1987) -
5. Phillip Glass - Mad Rush (1979) -
6. Irving Fine - Music for Piano (1947) - Prelude -
7. Waltz-Gavotte -
8. Variations -
9. Interlude-Finale -
10. Leonard Bernstein - Four Selected Anniversaries - For Shirley Ga
11. For Stephan Sondheim (1965) -
12. For Aaron Stern (1986) -
13. For Felicia Montealegre (1948) -
14. Aaron Copland - The Young Pioneers (1936) -
15. Aaron Copland - Piano Sonata (1942) - Molto Moderato -
16. Vivace -
17. Andante Sostenuto -
18. Aaron Copland - In Evening Air (1972) -