In 1991, Stein formed a new group that features the original combination of piano, cello, and soprano saxophone. The new music is a highly melodic acoustic mix where jazz meets classical- a dynamic balance of form and improvisation. The group released CAROUSEL (1992) and then SPUR OF THE MOMENT (1994) on Narada Records. Their most recent recording, BACH IMPROVISATIONS, was recorded live in concert at Yoshi's, an internationally- known jazz club in Oakland, California. This highly original album features lyrical and elegant improvisations on nine Bach Chorales. It was released in 1999 on the Lost Time Records label.
All three musicians have extensive backgrounds in both jazz and classical music. On soprano saxophone is Dann Zinn whose professional credits include performances with Freddie Hubbard, Toshiko Akiyosho, and Joe Henderson. He also has received top prizes at major music festivals. He is also a Professor of Music at Cal State Hayward and UC Berkeley in California.
On cello is Joseph HÃ©bert, an accomplished and versatile musician who has played with such artists as Leontyne Price, Carlos Santana, Stevie Wonder, and Natalie Cole, and has appeared with several major symphony orchestras. In addition, Joseph is the Director of Music Ministeries at St. Augustine Catholic Church in Pleasanton, California where Ira is principal accompanist.
The three musicians presently live in the San Francisco Bay area.
1. Cantata No. 122, Das neugeborne Kindelein, BWV 122
2. Cantata No. 11, (Ascension Oratorio), BWV 11, Nun lieget alles u
3. Cantata No. 31, BWV 31, Es woll' uns Gott gnÃ¤dig sein
4. Christmas Oratorio, BWV 248, Hilf, Herr Jesu, lass gelingen
5. Choral for 4 voices, Liebster jesu, wir sind hier, BWV 373
6. Chorale for 4 voices, O Mensch, bewein dein SÃ¼nde gross, BWV 40
7. Chorale for 4 voices, Wir glauben all en einen Gott, BWV 437
8. Jesu, meine Freude, motet for chorus and continuo, BWV 227
9. Chorale for 4 voices, Komm, Gott SchÃ¶pfer, heiliger Geist, BWV