" Boyes plays with sensitivity, insight and bursts of bravura...in command of everything she takes on, both musically and technically."
The International Alliance for Women in Music Journal, Spring 2002
"Boyes performs...with grace and precision; her flawless technique and subtle interpretations...brings the listener to new and wondrous heights."
Delectably Seasoned!, December 6, 2001
Reviewer: Dr. Susan Borwick from NC USA
"Pianist and musicologist Katharine Boyes enriches our world with this cd, which benefits from her excellent performances and notes. Boyes' idea to focus on women composers' music that is related to Nature's seasonal cycle is brilliant! She introduces new composers--e.g., Estelle D. Rickettes or Akemi Naito--as well as new works by familiar names--e.g., Amy Beach's "Farewell, Summer" or Fanny Mendelssohn's "December." What becomes clear in Boyes' hands is the sensitive and powerful music these women have written and also the affinity for Nature's rhythm these composers displayed. Perhaps Boyes' cd should be required listening in ecofeminism courses. It certainly should be for all who seek a stellar performance of captivating new music!"
About the artist: Katharine Boyes, a native of England, has performed recitals throughout Great Britain and the U.S.A., and has been featured on BBC Radio and American Public Radio. She received her Doctor of Musical Arts degree from the University of Cincinnati, and has also studied at the Royal Academy of Music, London and the San Francisco Conservatory.
During her studies at UC, Katharine became interested in the works of women composers. She has found "a treasure chest full of fine women composers whose works have not received the attention and acclaim they merit. 'Piano Portraits of the Seasons' represents an opportunity to unveil these marvelous works by women." Katharine frequently gives lecture-recitals on the lives and works of women composers. She is a faculty member at Wake Forest University, North Carolina School of the Arts, and Salem College.
1. Spring Intermezzo, from Four Seasonal Sketches
2. Summer Interlude, from Four Seasonal Sketches
3. Autumn Dance, from Four Seasonal Sketches
4. Winter Holiday, from Four Seasonal Sketches
5. Rippling Spring Waltz
6. Spring Approaches the Valley
7. Caresse d'Avril: Impromptu
8. Gai Printemps
9. Summer Song
10. Summer Nocturne, from Five Poems
11. Farewell, Summer Op. 102, no.1
12. Evensong, from Cantos for the End of Summer
13. Autumn Sunset
14. In Autumn, op. 15, no.1
15. Rain, Calling Autumn: movement 3
16. Autumn op, 35, no. 2
17. Winter Moonlight
18. February Palace of Ice from A Calendar Set
19. December, from Das Jahr
20. Joy to Spring, from Songs of the Seasons
21. Summer Dreams, from Songs of the Seasons
22. Reflections of Autumn, from Songs of the Seasons
23. Winter Fantasy, from Songs of the Seasons