"High virtuosity.This is classical guitar at its best."
With a repertoire spanning from J.S.Bach to Jimi Hendrix. Michael Nicolella is recognized as one of America's most innovative classical guitar virtuosi. He has received critical acclaim for both his performances and recordings.
A uniquely eclectic and versatile artist, Michael blurs the lines between musical styles and disciplines. He is part of a growing trend in classical music to revitalize the role of the composer/performer. As a concert artist he frequently programs his own works for guitar in solo recital and chamber music settings.
Known for his creative programming, he has introduced electric guitar into his "classical" programs and extended the repertoire and audience of his instrument not only with his own compositions and transcriptions, but also by premiering and commissioning works by some of today's most exciting emerging composers.
As a performer and composer, Michael has been awarded grants, commissions and fellowships from the American Composers Forum, Wisconsin Arts Board, Washington State Arts Commission, King County Office of Cultural Resources, Seattle Arts Commission and was first prize winner of both the Portland and Northwest solo classical guitar competitions.
"Since the passing of Andres Segovia the guitar world has needed an advocate,perhaps Michael Nicolella is that person. An artist with eclectic tastes and a contemplative bent...extraordinary...powerful" WASHINGTON POST
"remarkable...breathtaking...superb ...a fully enlightened musician of our time."
CLASSICAL GUITAR (U.K.)
Check out the artist's website:
1. Prelude BWV 998 - JS Bach
2. Fugue BWV 998 - JS Bach
3. Allegro BWV 998 - JS Bach
4. Prelude-Frank Martin
5. Air - Frank Martin
6. Plainte - Frank Martin
7. Comme une Gigue - Frank Martin
8. Ciaccona (from BWV 1004) JS Bach
9. Musingly (Nocturnal) - Benjamin Britten
10. Very Agitated (Nocturnal) - Benjamin Britten
11. Restless (Nocturnal) - Benjamin Britten
12. Uneasy (Nocturnal) - Benjamin Britten
13. March-like (Nocturnal) - Benjamin Britten
14. Dreaming (Nocturnal) - Benjamin Britten
15. Gently rocking (Nocturnal) - Benjamin Britten
16. Passacaglia/Theme (Nocturnal) - Benjamin Britten