It was this experience of watching others' reactions to the harp that motivated Tami to study at the International Harp Therapy Program (IHTP). There participants learn how to take the harp into hospitals, hospices, and nursing homes. After completing the IHTP, Tami eventually overcame her life long fear of hospitals and began playing at the bedside. She has played for patients with a wide variety of illnesses.
Tami has been privileged to witness many examples of the healing power of therapeutic harp music.
* When she plays medical staff frequently comment, "I didn't administer any additional medical therapies and the patient's vital signs just improved."
* Upon "awakening" from a 30-day coma (Tami played on Day 23), a middle-aged man spoke of not remembering anything except hearing harp music.
* Summoned by the family of a dying man, Tami was asked to play while he transitioned from this life to the next. He died while she was playing.
While other cultures have used complementary care modalities for years, the United States is just beginning to recognize how music (and other complementary care therapies) can augment the healing process. Because of music's potency and power, it can be used to help heal, connect, and support.
Tami is the founding principal of Musical Reflections, a company whose mission is to provide therapeutic music to facilitate healing, transformational growth, and well-being for those experiencing life transitions.
Tami Briggs, founding principal of Musical Reflections, Inc., is a therapeutic harpist, composer, recording artist, and national speaker. She has played the harp at the bedside of hundreds of hospital and hospice patients, using her musical experience and her clinical training to address the immediate needs of the patient, the patient's loved ones, and the professional staff. Tami is currently involved in a scientific research study measuring the benefits of live harp music on oncology patients.
A dynamic facilitator and presenter, she works with both large and small groups educating them about the healing properties of harp music. She has completed 11 CDs; Grace Notes: Reflections on the Harp and Healing is her first book.
WHAT LISTENERS HAVE SAID ABOUT "THE CHRISTMAS STORY":
"I played "The Christmas Story" as background music for our church's Christmas dinner theater "Bethlehem Inn." Along with the candle and lantern lighting and decorations, the harp music created a serene atmosphere. It was so soothing. One comment from a guest was that it was like walking into a spa! Thank you for your beautiful music."
"This CD includes all my favorite traditional Christmas carols, plus some that are infrequently played anymore. I love them all!"
"My holiday preparation stress melts when I listen to this music."
"I love having this CD play while I'm baking Christmas cookies."
"Your music helps all of us find the place within that longs to be filled with the music of the harp-the sound of our creative selves in harmony with the universe. Thank you for sharing your gifts and through it, helping us find ours."
"Your musical interpretations really minister. Your fingers upon the strings are such audible extensions of your heart's compassion. And, as a result, the heartstrings of many are touched."
Check out the artist's website:
1. We Three Kings; What Child is This?; God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
2. Winds through the Olive Trees
3. The Friendly Beasts
4. O Little Town of Bethlehem; Once in Royal David's City; Come Tho
5. Angels We Have Heard on High; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; Ange
6. Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming
7. Still, Still, Still
8. Silent Night
9. Joy to the World
10. It Came upon a Midnight Clear; The First Noel; Away in A Manger;
11. O Holy Night