1. Gerhardesque: Inspired by finger-style guitarist Ed Gerhard, whose music is so beautiful he could relax you with two notes. I love in particular the ending because of its range and note combination.
2. Right Here, Right Now: You'll like this if you like a lot of dissonance. The right hand is messy and complicated and demanding of attention, until the left hand comes in to give it some shape, and compliment it.
3. Out West: One of my favorites to play. It just sounds like a simpler time, that I eventually complicate with some dissonance and a changed pace.
4. Bells: The dissonance in this tune interests me because it's not so clean & simple. Things aren't always what they seem, and sometimes the more jumbled, the more interesting.
5. Lugubrious: A one-time vocabulary word -- sorry, you'll have to look it up. And when you do, it's a great word to work into casual conversation.
6. For the Boys: The boys in this case would be by brothers and nephews. As I said, growing up with guitar players may have made me turn to the piano, but I always envied them all playing guitars in the bathroom because of the great acoustics.
7. One Rainy Night: I'm not often inspired by the rain to do much of anything except hole up, but I got a tune out of this particular evening.
8. Jules Vern: Written when I was 15, amidst my mother shouting "That's not part of your lesson!" Thankfully, it was written pretty quickly so she didn't have to yell much.
9. Oregon: I used the sustain pedal to make these notes bleed together, creating an audio haze. If this song were a picture, I'd get cold looking at it.
10. Be Still: Good advice. This tune will help.
11. Orange County: Are you picking up on a theme here, that my music is just a means of transportation?
12. Cascade: It's amazing I could record this one, as I probably couldn't play it cleanly again if you paid me. Arpeggios aren't a normal part of my sound, but they work in this particular piece, hence the title.
13. Fermez les yeux: Just as I was recording this CD, I started writing this piece. It came so fast, I knew I'd have to book extra studio time to record & include it. "Close Your Eyes" is the English translation, and that might be the best way to listen to this CD.
2. Right Here, Right Now
3. Out West
6. For the boys
7. One Rainy Night
8. Jules Vern
10. Be Still
11. Orange County
13. Fermez les yeux