THE CHOIRS OF CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL
The Cathedral Choir of Men and Boys, formed in 1883, has achieved an international reputation for choral excellence. In addition to performing with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, the Men and Boys have sung numerous commissioned works and have frequently appeared on radio and television broadcasts, including the nationally televised series "The Joy of Music" hosted by organist Diane Bish. The Choir has toured Great Britain and Europe, singing in London (St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey), Canterbury, Ely, Truro, Dublin (Christ Church Cathedral), Paris (Notre Dame), and in the cities of Chartres, Munich, Berlin, Leipzig, Venice (St. Mark's), and Rome (St. Peter's Basilica).
The Cathedral Girl's Choir is made up of girls ages 8 through 18. They recently celebrated their 50th anniversary year with a choir reunion service and concert for present and former members, three of whom had entered the Choir with the very first group of girls in 1945. The Girl's Choir has appeared in concert with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, and has appeared on overseas tours as well, appearing in many of the great cathedrals of Europe.
FREDERICK BURGOMASTER, Director
Frederick Burgomaster is Organist and Choirmaster of Christ Church Cathedral, Indianapolis, and Conductor and Music Director of the Indianapolis Festival Chorus and Orchestra. He holds a DMA degree from the University of Southern California, an SMM degree from Union Theological Seminary in New York City, and the Associate Certificate from the American Guild of Organists. As a recipient of a Fulbright Scholarship, he studied organ and conducting for two years in Munich, Germany with noted Bach interpreter Karl Richter, and sang with the Munich Bach Choir. He was also a scholarship grantee at the International Bach Week in Ansbach. He was awarded a Winston Churchill Fellowship for advanced choral study in Oxford, England. A former president of the Association of Anglican Musicians, he has also served on the Standing Commission on Church Music of the Episcopal Church.
Four Winds Albums by The Christ Church Cathedral Choir, Indianapolis:
George Frideric Handel: Messiah ~ Highlights from Parts I & II
On August 22, 1741, at a low point in his life and career, and suffering from partial paralysis due to a stroke, George Frideric Handel began work on Messiah. In an incredible 24 days, the great dramatic composer completed perhaps the most powerful, spiritually moving, and popular oratorio of all time.
Benjamin Britten: "Saint Nicolas" (FW 3023)
The cantata "Saint Nicolas" is based on the poetry of Eric Crozier, and tells the story of Nicolas from his birth, through his becoming Bishop of Myra, and serving the diocese faithfully until his death. Britten's music is highly pictorial, describing the life of St. Nicolas, universally known as Santa Claus, as if it had been recorded in vivid paitings and sketches.
Benjamin Britten: "A Ceremony of Carols" & Medieval Chants and Carols (FW3011)
Britten's "A Ceremony of Carols" is one of the great works of the 20th century for treble voices. The sound is fresh and bright, with virtuosic passages for both voices and harp.
"Sing, Choirs of Angels" (FW 3003)
Under the direction of Frederick Burgomaster, the choir captures all of the glory of Christmas in this collection of favorites and rarely recorded gems. Includes traditional Christmas carols, medieval chants and carols, and contemporary Christian music.
"Into The Light...Divine Choral Music of the Renaissance and Beyond" (FW 3001)
Contains glorious live performances of motets and anthems from several of the Cathedral Choir of Men and Boy's European tours, recorded in some of the great European cathedrals in Great Britain, Germany, France, and Italy.
Check out the artist's website:
1. Chorus / And The Glory Of The Lord
2. Recitative / Thus Saith The Lord
3. Recitative / Behold, A Virgin Shall Conceive
4. Air & Chorus /O Thou That Tellest Good Tidings To Zion
5. Chorus / For Unto Us A Child Is Born
6. Recitative / There Were Shepherds Abiding In The Field
7. Recitative / And Lo, The Angel Of The Lord Came Upon Them
8. Recitative / And The Angel Said Unto Them
9. Recitative / And Suddenly There Was With The Angel
10. Chorus / Glory To God
11. Air / Rejoice Greatly, O Daughter Of Zion
12. Recitative / Then Shall The Eyes Of The Blind
13. Air / He Shall Feed His Flock
14. Chorus / His Yoke Is Easy, And His Burthen Is Light
15. Chorus / Surely He Hath Born Our Griefs
16. Chorus / And With His Stripes We Are Healed
17. Chorus / All We Like Sheep Have Gone Astray
18. Recitative / All They That See Him, Laugh Him To Scorn
19. Chorus / He Trusted In God
20. Recitative / Thy Rebuke Hath Broken His Heart
21. Air / Behold And See If There Be Any Sorrow
22. Recitative / He Was Cut Off Out Of The Land Of The Living
23. Air / But Thou Didst Not Leave His Soul In Hell
24. Chorus / The Lord Gave The Word
25. Air / How Beautiful Are The Feet
26. Chorus / Their Sound Is Gone Out
27. Air / Why Do The Nations So Furiously Rage Together?
28. Chorus / Let Us Break The Bonds Asunder
29. Recitative / He That Dwelleth In Heaven
30. Air / Thou Shall Break Them
31. Chorus / Hallelujah