Bach's monumental and spiritually uplifting Sonatas and Partitas are unarguably a catalogue of violin technique, at some point testing every aspect of a violinist's playing.Â Joseph Silverstein brings a uniquely brilliant yet mature vision to these timeless masterworks!
"Silverstein's intimate playing...serves as a gateway into a Bachian world that exists, as it should, beyond temporal form and style.Â It is what musicians dream of: playing that identifies with the music so that listeners don't say, 'that's Silverstein', but instead, 'that's Bach'.Â The effect is cumulative, too, so that the music sounds like one large work rather than six distinct sonatas."
"At 70, Silverstein can still match bows with the best of them.Â This Bach set...is classic playing in the grand style, yet it is full of intimate moments that feel deeply personal.Â The wisdom of decades behind that violin has surfaced here, in Silverstein's unerring instinct for the right ornament, the right pause, and the bravura flourish where it is needed.
"Joseph Silverstein's admirable new recording...reflects his interpretive maturity as well as the beautiful state of his playing...He builds his performances mainly out of well-articulated short phrases, rather than the long singing line of later Romantic style...The sound is utterly realistic within a nicely resonant acoustic."
"His renditions...are deeply thought-out, carefully nuanced, rhythmically strong and phrased with the humanity of a singer (or comparable, perhaps to a grand choir, in the case of the fugal movements). They are intensely personal in the slow movements, exquisitely joyous in the dances...and grandly communicative in the great Chaconne...In all, these discs are a lasting testament to Silverstein's consummate musicianship and lifelong mastery of the instrument."
Check out the artist's website:
1. Sonata No. 1 in g minor-Adagio
2. Sonata No. 1 in g minor-Fuga: Allegro
3. Sonata No. 1 in g minor-Siciliana
4. Sonata No. 1 in g minor-Presto
5. Partita No. 1 in b minor-Allemanda
6. Partita No. 1 in b minor-Double
7. Partita No. 1 in b minor-Corrente
8. Partita No. 1 in b minor-Double
9. Partita No. 1 in b minor-Sarabanda
10. Partita No. 1 in b minor-Double
11. Partita No. 1 in b minor-Borea
12. Partita No. 1 in b minor-Double
13. Sonata No. 2 in a minor-Grave
14. Sonata No. 2 in a minor-Fuga
15. Sonata No. 2 in a minor-Andante
16. Sonata No. 2 in a minor-Allegro
17. Partita No. 2 in d minor-Allemanda
18. Partita No. 2 in d minor-Corrente
19. Partita No. 2 in d minor-Sarabanda
20. Partita No. 2 in d minor-Giga
21. Partita No. 2 in d minor-Ciaccona
22. Sonata No. 3 in C Major-Adagio
23. Sonata No. 3 in C Major-Fuga
24. Sonata No. 3 in C Major- Largo
25. Sonata No. 3 in C Major-Allegro assai
26. Partita No. 3 in E Major-Preludio
27. Partita No. 3 in E Major-LourÃ©
28. Partita No. 3 in E Major-Gavotte en Rondeau
29. Partita No. 3 in E Major-Menuets
30. Partita No. 3 in E Major-BourÃ©e
31. Partita No. 3 in E Major-Gigue