The New Songbirds
A fantastic group with substance and style was formed in the 1960's and later to renew itself in the early 1980's have been an amazing transformation. The big song that was a beginning for the Invincible Songbirds was "Too Close" initially done by Brother Alex Bradford, it made the group Hall of Fame material. The then Invincible Songbirds were Reverend Ben Colvin (now deceased) and his wife, Eddie Mae headed the group but Dave Richardson, Lester Johnson and William Bufkin had a lot to do with it's success.
After a few years Dave Richardson and Lester Johnson along with another member not with the original group got together and signed with a major label to do a song that caught on called "Heart Full Of Love". Now becoming a secular group, they called themselves "The Invincibles".
In the 80's former members of the Songbirds headed by its original leaders, the incomparable Reverend Ben Colvin and his wife met with songwriter and producer, Mel Alexander in recording an array of songs that were released on various albums from Kris Label.
Later another member and guitarist, Don Pierce was added as a valuable asset. He wrote and sang a wonderful song "I'll Take Jesus" which is a favorite of mine. These other two songs are traditional in every sense that can be enjoyed by everyone. "He'll See You Through" and "Time is Getting Shorter" without a doubt are testimonial and revealing. A must for gospel lovers of God.
Mel Alexander Producer
WYNNDE VESSUP: ARTIST & ACTRESS
Her mother and oldest sister inspired Wynnde Vessup at the very early age of 4 singing in front of the church audience. Her father was the pastor at the time in San Bernardino, CA. Her family first Gospel release, "Show the Love" was a big hit and they tour as The BJT's. As time past, she moves to Los Angeles and became a part of UCLA Gospel Choir. The choir first release was one of Wynnde tunes, Newborn on the cd album "Gratitude". She continue to work hard on writing music and release her first solo CD's "Lifter of my Head" & "We can make the Difference".
She is now a featured artist on I-AM-UNLIMITED RECORDS L.L.C. cd: "HARVEST" that was release on July 3, 2004.
Wynnde has performed in many cities and states at activities; Special Olympics, San Bernardino, CA; Martin L. King Black History Celebration, Fashion Shows, "The Best of Broadway Musical", "Hoover Street Revival", "The Real Meaning of Christmas", luncheons, parties, concerts and conventions. This is just the beginning of this anointed and dynamic artist who credits her affection and passion for the music to God and her parents. The tunes, "What My Jesus Means To You" lyrics by her and "Harvest" co-written by Julie Harris of (R. Productions).
* Gene D'espyne is from Trinidad, West Indies.
* Trinidad is the land of Steel bands, Calypso, and Soca music.
* Gene started playing the steel drum at the age of nineteen.
* In the early 1900, we in Trinidad created the Steel drums out of 55-gallon oil drums. Since then the steel drum has come a long ways.
* Before relocating to the U.S. in 1975, Gene did a recording in Trinidad.
* Once in the U.S. he played with a band in Brooklyn, N. Y. for five years. After which, he did not play for 20 years.
* In 2003 the spirit of the Lord brought him to Victorville, CA. It was here that the Lord brought him back to playing this instrument, all for His glory! "I thank the Lord for blessing me with this awesome gift and helping me to get better every day. Thanks be to God".
Check out the artist's website:
1. He'll See You Throughhttp://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/wynnde-09.m3uhttp
2. Time Is Getting Shorterhttp://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/wynnde-09.m3u
3. I'll Take Jesushttp://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/wynnde-09.m3u
4. What My Jesus Means to Youhttp://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/wynnde-09.m3
5. I Rest in Youhttp://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/wynnde-09.m3u
7. Shelter in the Time of Stormshttp://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/wynnde-09
9. Be Thou Faithfulhttp://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/wynnde-09.m3u