Kristen, Britany and Peter met in Albany, New York in 1993 and have been playing together as the Beverwyck String Band ever since. Named after the 17th century Dutch town on the Hudson River that later became known as Albany, the band brings their energy and enthusiasm for traditional dance music to contra dances and events throughout the Northeast and beyond.
Our first album, "Cat out of the Bag" was a joy to make, and we think that joy is reflected in the tunes you will hear. We are particularly pleased to feature several recently composed tunes, including three by Kristen Brunner Hislop, our piano player.
Our thanks go to Paul Rosenburg, David Kaynor, Jay Unger and Molly Mason, Peter Stix, Mark Bagdon, Peter Davis, Jim Kimball and all the other musicians and callers who have encouraged us and inspired us over the years. Thanks to the dance communities of the Hudson Valley, western Massachusetts, northern Vermont, Rochester and Ithaca for dancing to our music and welcoming us into their homes. Thanks to Pete Sutherland, Lane Gibson, and Chuck Eller for making the recording experience so much fun.
Check out the artist's website:
1. Miss Monahan's/Reel Confusion/Wissahickon Drive
2. Paddy on the Railroad/Father Kelly's/St. Antoine's
3. Swedish Wedding March from Malung
4. Hudson River Steam Boat/Sackett's Harbor
5. Vitamin C/Mug of Brown Ale/The Joy of My Life
6. Vinton's Hornpipe/Saratoga Hornpipe/President Garfield's Hornpip
8. Wizard's Walk/Growling Old Man Old Woman
9. Gaspe Reel/Celina/Da Tushkar
10. Big Tom's Farewell/Dunford's Fancy
11. Wedding Waltz for Will and Melissa
12. Spootiskerry/Cat Out of the Bag/Confidence Reel
13. Lullaby for Sophia