With this album we present our first FiddleSticks collection of hymns. These are sacred songs and tunes that we feel an extra connection with and we love playing them. They are mostly traditional, and we've arranged them all in our eclectic Celtic style.
We chose the name "Return to Nauvoo" for this album during a week-long performing tour in Nauvoo, Illinois, the 19th century frontier town on the Mississippi River that was once the center of the Mormon faith. It was also the home of many of our ancestors, and so in a way our week in Nauvoo was like returning to our family roots.
Many of the hymns and sacred songs in this collection date from the Nauvoo period, and all have been a strength and a support for people of faith since the time of Nauvoo and before. By remembering their music, we can connect with the heroes of the past.
This album was produced by Liz, the cellist in the FiddleSticks band, and Liz's imaginative and improvisational style is featured in many of the arrangements.
FiddleSticks is a family musical group that performs folk songs, Celtic style tunes, and traditional hymns. The band is made up of of Liz Davis - cello; Katie Davis - fiddle, voice; Becca Davis Stevenson - flute, pennywhistle, voice; Mark Davis - guitar, bodhran; and Andi Pitcher Davis - hammered dulcimer.
Check out the artist's website:
1. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing; Swallowtail Jig
2. Lead Kindly Light
3. In Humility Our Savior (Hyfrydol)
4. Be Thou My Vision
5. How Long O Lord
6. Praise to the Man (Nauvoo Version)
7. This Earth Was Once a Garden Place (Adam-Ondi-Ahman)
8. St. Basil's Hymn
9. A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
10. All Is Well/Come Come Ye Saints
11. How Can I Keep from Singing
12. Be Still My Soul
13. If You Could Hie to Kolob
14. For the Beauty of the Earth
15. Scotland the Brave; Salt Creek
16. Amazing Grace