David and Carol Sharp formed Idlewild more than ten years ago. Dave plays flute, whistle, recorders, mountain dulcimer, tenor banjo, mandolin, guitar, fiddle bodhran, and sings tenor vocals in several languages. Dave has played music with many ethnic groups from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds. He enjoys researching and playing all kinds of ethnic and traditional tunes. He is also an animator (network television for 16 years), and a woodcarver. Dave is also the Business Agent for the American Federation of Musicians, Local 104.
Carol plays mainly the Celtic harp, hammered dulcimer, whistle, tamborine, and bowed psaltery for performances. She specializes in the smaller lap harps and is a certified practitioner of harp therapy by the International Harp Therapy Program. Carol specializes in musical activities and therapy with children.
Dave and Carol are joined by their friends:
Mark Jardine has long been one of the most prominent fiddlers of Celtic and traditional music in the west. He was a founding member of the Deseret String Band, Ten Penny and Yankee Clipper. His compositions have been featured on PBS programs documenting the Pioneers and the Mormon Battalion. Mark has an independent label called Honeybee recordings with many CD's to their credit. He joins Idlewild on the fiddle and Hurdy Gurdy, as a long time friend and mentor.
Steve Keen could be called everyone's favorite side man, as he plays in many bands throughout the region. He is an adjunct professor of Keyboards at the University of Utah, and a member of the Klezbros (Jewish traditional Music) and the Steve Keen Trio. (Jazz ensemble) Steve has joined Idlewild the last few years and plays the Button Accordion.
Marion Carter plays the Tenor Recorder and Clarinet, and joining us is her husband Barry Carter on guitar, Bodhran, and Djembe. They perform together as the duo Inish and have their own independent label as well. They have been featured in many prominent concerts and festivals throughout the region as well.
Our current CD's are
1. "Idlewild" a band album
2. "The Song of Fionula" Dave and Carol duo
3. "Blarney Pilgrim" a band album
4. "The Wild Geese" Scott and Dave duo
5. "Black Oak" Dave solo mountain dulcimer
6. "The Birds of Rhiannon" Carol and Dave duo
7. "The Grand Ceidhli" (Kay-lee) an Irish band album
8. "The Chalice Well" an English Album
9. "Hindeg" (heen-deeg) a Welsh Album
10. "Dans de les Marionettes" French and
western European traditional and Renaissance music
11. "The Callinish Stones" solo Scottish Flute
12. "Glastonbury" Renaissance duo with music and
Idlewild is currently working on three new CD projects a harp and flute album (called the River Roe), a Renaissance duo album, and an album of solo Scottish Flute tunes. Sometime this year we will update our website as they become available.
For more information contact us, Dave and Carol Sharp at 801-268-4789 or email idlewild@ idlewildrecordings.com.
David S. Sharp
Check out the artist's website:
1. Gavotte de Cap-Sizun (Breton)
2. Laire lon laire/Tes Beaux Yeux Ma Nicole (French Traditional)The
3. Ma Fransez (Breton Traditional)
4. Bransle Gascon (French Trad.)
5. Gavotte du Pont-Aven (Breton)
6. Lauda (Italian Traditional)
7. Bransle de Borgoynon (Claude Gervaise circa 1551)
8. Bianco Fiore (Italian) The White Flower
9. Les Filles de St. Nicolas (French trad.) The Girls of St. Nicola
10. De Streep (Dutch)
11. C'est L'Aviron (French trad.)
12. Quand jetais chez mon pere (French trad.)
13. La Bourree' droite d'Issoudun (French trad.)
14. Gort met Stroop (Dutch)
15. Pavan (Thionot Arbeau's Orchesography 1558)
16. Dans de les Marionettes/El Tu Tu (D. Sharp/Italian)
17. Maclotte chasse' de Malmedy (Belgian trad.)
18. Ar Serjent Major (Breton trad.)
19. Processional (D.Sharp)
20. Chansonette (French trad.)
21. Au clair de la luna/Sir la pon d'Avignion (French trad.)
22. Les Petites Marionettes/Gai lon la, Gai la Rosier (French Trad.)
23. Bear Tanz (German trad.)
24. Untitled (Michon)
25. Spagnoletta (Italian trad.)
26. Canario (English trad.)
27. Me a gar eur Goulmik (Breton trad.)
28. Air dune' Volta (T. Arbeau)
29. Les Bouffons (T. Arbeau)
30. Marazula Schiarazula (Italian trad.)
31. Polka (French trad.)