David and Carol Sharp formed Idlewild more than ten years ago. Dave plays flute, whistle, recorders, mountain dulcimer, tenor banjo, mandolin/mandola, guitar, fiddle bodhran and sings tenor vocals. Dave has played music with many ethnic groups from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds. He enjoys researching and playing all kinds of ethnic and traditional tunes. He is also an animator (network television for 16 years), and a woodcarver. Dave is also the Business Agent for the American Federation of Musicians, Local 104.
Carol plays mainly the Celtic harp, hammered dulcimer, and bowed psaltery for performances. She specializes in the smaller lap harps and is a certified practitioner of harp therapy by the International Harp Therapy Program. Carol plays and works with children at Primary Children's Medical Center. Carol has received a BS degree in Human Development and Family Studies from the University of Utah in 2002. Carol specializes in musical activities and therapy with children.
Dave and Carol are joined by their five friends Jody Duffy-Brings, Teresa Welch, Aaron Rashaw and Steve Keen.
Jody Duffy-Brings sings traditional Irish songs and ballads in a delightful natural style. She is a teacher and has a background in theater and drama. Her singing is the exact style of the female Celtic ballad singers.
Teresa Welch plays fiddle for the group and is a full time member of the Ballet West Orchestra and substitutes in the Utah Symphony regularly. Like Dave and Carol, she is a member of the AFM, Local 104. She also holds the most number of upper level degrees in the group.
Aaron Rashaw plays guitar for the group, and like Teresa holds a music degree as one of his degrees. His versatility makes him a valuable asset from all kinds of traditional to jazz and classical.
Steve Keen plays the button accordion, Steve is a well known jazz keyboard player in the area for many years with a special interest in traditional music for the accordion.
Idlewild has several friends that are accomplished musicians to help us with our work, when band members are not available. Mark Jardine, Krista Baker play fiddle, Marion Carter plays the Tenor Recorder, Paul Rasmussen, and Joe Farmer play guitar. These people can be seen playing in their own groups when not helping Idlewild.
Idlewild is currently working on three new CD projects a harp and flute album (called the River Roe), an album of French and Breton instrumental music and last but not least an album of Welsh music. Sometime this year we will update our website as they become available.
Idlewild has appeared playing their own music, on an episode of the CBS show "Promised Land" and has eight CD's available through their own label Idlewild Recordings. For more information contact us, Dave and Carol Sharp at 801-268-4789 or email idlewild@ idlewildrecordings.com.
David S. Sharp
Check out the artist's website:
1. Nanez Binameye Poyete (Belgian Lullaby)
2. Mable Kelly (Turlough O'Carolan)
3. The Song of Fionula (Irish Song)
4. Planxty Burke (Turlough O'Carolan)
5. Mey Guldinn/Moladh na Landaidh/Bransle de Borgoynon (Scottish/Cl
6. Princess Royal (Irish Traditional)
7. Air in Am/O'Carolan's Welcome (Irish air/Turlough O' Carolan)
8. There were Three Ravens (English Song)
9. A Bressay Lullaby (Shetland Islands Lullaby)
10. Bridgett Cruise - Fourth air (Turlough O' Carolan)
11. Me a gar eur Goulmik (Breton Traditional)
12. The Castle of Dromore (Irish Song)
13. The Old Woman Lamenting the Loss of her Purse (Irish Traditional
14. Morfa'r Frenhines (The Queen's Marsh) Welsh Traditional
15. The Boys of Wexford (Irish air)
16. Nous voici da la Villa (French Traditional)
17. Si'beg agus Si'mor (Turlough O'Carolan)
18. Bally loo Lamy (Scottish Lullaby)
19. The Claddagh Ring (David S. Sharp 1995)
20. Buain na Rainich (The Cutting of the Fern) Scottish Strathspey
21. All the Pretty Little Horses (American Traditional)
22. Shady Grove/Parson's Farewell (English Traditional)