We had just rounded a corner and were making good time when we passed a brown house to my left. In a moment, the tranquility dissolved when two huge dogs dashed from the open garage. As they crossed the street they were followed by their owners screaming â€œOh, no, Oh noâ€. This was not good. Everything around seemed to move in slow motion as I watched them close in.
Things I had learned about caring for my dog flashed into my mind as I knew I had to act fast. I had three choices:
1. Lift Chip in my arms to help him appear larger. At well over 100 pounds each I donâ€™t think this would have impressed either dog.
2. Fight. I donâ€™t think this would have impressed them either.
3. Run. Um. Too late.
Fortunately, Chip knew of a fourth choice.
The moment the dogs reached us, Chip remained on his feet, but lay his head gently on the sidewalk. Our attackers arrived swiftly over him and put their giant heads over his quivering little one. Chip froze. The dogs froze. I froze, and there we all stayed, cemented in our positions until the owners arrived.
Amidst apologies and fierce tugging the dogs were dragged off, and we shakily went on our way. I have often thought of Chipâ€™s predicament when overwhelmed by struggles in life. There are times when the storm of circumstances seems so large and the situation so dire that we too have three- no, four choices.
1. Try to make ourselves appear larger than we are.
4. Lay our head at the feet of the Lord Jesus and freeze. He is up to the challenges we face, and the dogs snapping at our neck arenâ€™t even close to being in the same league as our Heavenly Father. In time the storm will pass, and the attackers called off. In the meantime, I must train myself to reject the first three choices because they depend on my own strength. The fourth depends completely on Christ.
When I was choosing songs for Just Give Me Jesus, I wanted to select numbers that had encouraged me to collapse on the Lord. He is safe and trustworthy! I hope they are a comfort to you!
What the wicked dreads will overtake him; what the righteous desire will be granted. When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever. Proverbs 10:24 (NIV)
1. I Want to Know Christ
3. I Am Not Ashamed
4. No More Night
5. Just Give Me Jesus
6. And He's Ever Interceding
7. Like a River Glorious
8. Because He Lives
9. The Lord's Prayer