Founder and lead guitarist Chris â€œCitrusâ€ Sauthoff formed the band originally so he could once again play locally in his hometown and bring some funk to Denver. In 1995, he joined George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars as their stage manager, and has since had many opportunities to take the stage with them as a guitarist as well. Having learned from the legends of funk through the years, he wanted to fulfill his own artistic vision as a musician, and thus began the Pipe project.
With an eclectic group of musicians from both the local Denver music scene, as well as special guests from the funk world, Citrus has been able to assemble a band he describes as â€œa smokinâ€™ dance machine that is sure to get the party started and people on their feet.â€ You never know WHO might show up at a Pipe Party!
U.S. Pipe and the Balls Johnson Machine is:
- Chris â€œCitrusâ€ Sauthoff, lead guitar, vocals and ringmaster
- Jimmy Giachetti, rhythm guitar
- Lige Curry, special guest bassist from Parliament/Funkadelic
- Chris Murphy, drums
- Richie â€œShakinâ€™â€ Nagan, percussionist
- Rico â€œRic Smoovâ€ Lewis, keyboardist, emcee and drummer from Parliament/Funkadelic
- Gus â€œLazerbeemâ€ Hoffman, trombone
- Missy "Bubbles Johnson" Gutreuter, vocals
- Niki Way, vocals
- Natalie Millican, vocals
- Gak Stonn, video mixer and live projectionist
U.S. Pipe and the Balls Johnson Dance Machine is a branch of the Tree of Funkâ€¦come eat from the fruit of the PIPE.
In a recent interview George Clinton said, â€œI canâ€™t wait to grow this P-Funk thang all over again,â€ he laughs, â€œI got the old roots with the live concerts and the new branches with the various band members, as well as my own solo projects.â€
Check out the artist's website:
1. Enjoy Life
2. Edge of the Road
3. Red Hot Mama
4. Possession Free Philosophy
6. Get Up
7. I Call My Baby Pussy
8. Can You Get To That